The Unwanted Cup

Out of everybody in the box you shined the brightest,
too bright to reflect off my dark skin.

I absorbed you unwillingly, it was automatic
you fell softly like the sun in to my heart, became an oasis in my barren hand.

I fought to remove you from sight, from my lips.
But i would find myself speaking your sticky name,
 instead of  tacky movements i spoke as if it was sweet and smooth.

But then in an instant you were gone,
dragged away in an instant to a foreign land.

 And i asked God why couldn't i love someone who would stay around,
 out of everybody in the church i fell for you.

Even when i thought i had released you from my placid heart
 you would rumble around like dice.

And now I'm stuck in a haze of questions and disappointment,
how could i have let myself get hurt by a guy who doesn't even know my feelings.

I have to watch a former lover get married to his dream girl
 who happens to be my friend

now the one guy i loved on my own without him having to do anything,
 he's gone.

And i drink and drink and drink from this unwanted cup,
 it's nothing more than the residue of hope left inside of me.

Comments

Popular Posts